Unite, one of the UK’s largest managers and developer of student accommodation, were looking for electric heating for student accommodation as an alternative to electric convection heaters in their student properties. A site in Huddersfield was chosen to use Herschel.
A key attraction was to find heaters that were more efficient, a slimmer profile and could be wall or ceiling mounted offering options to save space in the rooms and reduced fire risk from students drying clothes on the heaters.
- Herschel Select white 540W white panels and Select XL 600W white panels were installed replacing 1.2kW convector heaters. A combination of wall and ceiling mounted positions were chosen.
- Unite used their own monitoring equipment to compare consumption
- Existing Prefect programmable air-thermostat controls were used to control both heater types
- Herschel panel consumption was recorded lower overall than the convector heaters, up to 40% across the sample.
- Feedback from occupiers has been very positive. “After 5-10 minutes, you can feel the heat and it takes around 15 minutes to heat the whole room”. “It’s a nice temperature and the room stays warm overnight.” “Last year I’d have to turn it (convector heater) on in the morning, I can’t say I’ve had to do that this year.”
- Unite staff and students were impressed with the lower consumption and feeling of heat. They are now considering extending trials and using Herschel on a number of other sites.
Additional benefits identified by Unite:
- Herschel panels have no openings or vents, reducing the risk of items / dust etc building up and coming into contact with the heating elements.
- Less movement of air means that dust and allergies aren’t circulated around the room.
- Increase in blood circulation from infrared being absorbed by the body with associated health benefits such as reducing joint stiffness, boosting immune functionality and detoxing.